Western Pennsylvania ARES will host an emergency communications conference June 14, 2014 from 9AM-5PM at the University of Pittsburgh-Johnstown campus. The conference is free and is open to all amateur radio operators including those outside the Western PA ARRL Section.
Hams who wish to attend should please register at http://wpaares.org. Even though there is no cost to attend, we’d like to have an estimate of the headcount.
Inexpensive lunches will be available for purchase. For those traveling from a great distance, a limited number of dorm rooms are available. Please contact Harry W3YJ (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more info about reserving a room.
A full day of training, education, and fun is planned. The tentative sessions are as follows:
• Introduction to D-STAR and D-RATS.
• Getting Started with high-speed Broadband Hamnet (BBHN) networking
• Essential NIMS Forms
• The Role of the ARES Public Information Officer (PIO)
• Lawrence County ARES Reorganization – would it work in your county?
• Amateur Radio at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC.
• Hands-on workshops on D-STAR, D-RATS, and BBHN.
• County Emergency Coordinator (EC) training and discussion
• Panel discussion on the roles of ARES, PEMA, and Region 13. Panelists include:
o John Rodgers N3MSE, Western PA ARRL Section Manager
o Susan Singer KB3KDC, PEMA ACS Coordinator
o Dr. Sam Sarraf KE3PO, Region 13 Amateur Radio Liaison Officer
o Harry Bloomberg W3YJ, Western PA ARES Section Emergency Coordinator
Please go to the website of Western PA ARES (http://wpaares.org) for a map, updates, and registration information.
Western PA ARES would like to thank the following
• University of Pittsburgh-Johnstown
• Cambria Radio Club
• American Radio Relay League
Please contact Western PA ARES Section Emergency Coordinator Harry Bloomberg W3YJ via email at email@example.com for more information.